Plants and Animals of the Island / On Utaki / Wells / Ruins / Yearly festivals and events / Tanadhui Festival / Song / History of the island /
The History of Heritage Management / Taketomi Yugafu-kan / Machinami-kan /Taketomi Folk Craft Kan / Kihoin-Shushukan /
Taketomi Town Cultural Asset, Kyu-Yonaguni-Ke / Shisa Water buffalo Animals
History History of the island
Around the 10th century -
This is thought to be when the immigration to Taketomi Island began.
The end of the 12th C -
Higashishinzatomura (East Shinzato Village) Ruins
Around the 13th C - Takindhun and his followers might have settled the Shinzato Village in this period.
Around the 14th C - Nishishinzatomura (West Shinzato Village) Ruins
Miyako and Yaeyama first paid tribute to King Nakayama. [Kyuuyou]
Shouhashi of Nakayama defeated Minamiyama and united the Ryukyu Dynasty.[Kyuuyou] 1477 - Fishermen from Saishu Island Korea cast in Yonaguni Island. [Chousenkoku Richou Jituroku]
1500 - Allies of the Ryukyu Dynasty and Miyako attacked Yaeyama and captured Oyakeakahachi. The chief commander of the Ryukyu Army, Ohzato-Oyakata, took Nishitoh, a brilliant boy from Taketomi Island, to Shuri, the capital city of Ryukyu Dynasty. [Kyuuyou, Ryukyu Yuraiki]
Nishitoh was granted Taketomiufushuriufuyaku, the title of head of Taketomi Island, by the Ryukyu government, and he established Kuramoto, the administration. [Kyuuyou] Nishitoh was also inspired by Sonohiyan-Utaki (the god of Shuri) so he brought the god to Taketomi Island and built Fuinah-On. [Ryukyu Yuraiki]
Nishitoh transferred Kuramoto from Taketomi Island to Ishigaki Island. [Nishitoh-Fu]
Nishitoh was said to have died in Ishigaki Island. [Nishitoh-Fu]
The invasion of Satsuma domain. The north of Yoron Island was divided and became a territory under the direct control of Satsuma. The south of the main island of Okinawa became Ryukyu Dynasty under the control of Satsuma. [Kyuuyou]
The administration and chief executive positions were set in Miyara, Oohama and Ishigaki, each called Magiri. Taketomi Island belonged to Ishigaki-Magiri. [Yaeyama Nenraiki (the History of Yaeyama)] However, “Yaeyama Nenraiki” describes that Taketomi Village was part of Ishigaki-Magiri, and there was no Nahji and Hazama Village.
Zaiban, a public government, was located in Yaeyama. Officials of Ryukyu resided there as zaiban, officers. Two assistants (zaiban-hissha) were also posted.
Yamato Zaiban was located in Yaeyama. Satsuma's officials resided there as Yamato zaiban. The first zaiban was Takeuchi-Bizen.
1651 - As described in“Yaeyama Nenraiki,”Taketomi Village had a population of 209. It was described as three villages,”Hazama, Nahji, Harehaka”and yielded a little more than 52 koku of rice (1.5 tons of rice). However, "Yaeyama Nenraiki" recalled no other information about the three villages, so they might not have been ruled by any administrations at that time.
"Taketomi Yunchu" (the ruler or a person in charge of Taketomi Island) was posted. It was the first time in Yaeyama islands to have a yunchu in a local spot. [Kyuuyou]
Kumemura-Shiroma-Pehchin came to the island to observe feng shui (wind and water) that predicts fortunes based on direction, and estimated the structure of the village. 1694 -
The post "Taketomi Yunchu" was changed to "Hazama Yunchu." [Yaeyama Nenraiki]
1705 - "Yaeyama Shimayuraiki" (the Origin of Yaeyama) was edited. This document was written in "Ryukyu Yuraiki" (The Origin of Ryukyu Dynasty) and edited in 1713. "The origin Muhyama (six Ons)", "the origin of the Fuinah-On's construction", and "the origin of shipbuilding" of Taketomi Island were also described in it.
People in both Taketomi Village and Shinjo Village were moved out to Nakama Village, on Iriomote Island. [Yaeyama Nenraiki]
A Taketomi Island woman named "Nahen" bore three boys at one time. [Kyuuyou]
"Taketomi-Mizashi" was changed to "Hazama-Mizashi." *mizashi---an official of local government [Yaeyama Nenraiki]
1732 - 竹Guided by "Otana" of Taketomi Village, Oyahaku-Pehchin, a zaiban of Kume Island who had been in a shipwreck, entered Taketomi Island from Ishigaki Island. [Yaeyama Nenraiki]
A hundred men and women (74 men and 26 women) on Taketomi Island moved out to the vicinity of Sakieda Village in Ishigaki Island to establish Yarabu Village. [Yaeyama Nenraiki]
Taketomi Village had a population of 1072. (713 people in Hazama, 358 people in Nahji) [Sankenjou]
1738 - Building wooden houses for peasants was prohibited, orders were to build a shanty (a hut or a shack) to live in. The population of Taketomi Island was 1080. Due to the over population, officials and chief beseeched Zakimi Uehkata and Minatogawa- Pehchin, the general, to force 300 people into Yara, a mile away from HiraKubo Village in Ishigaki Island. [Sankenjou]
1741 - Two Somayama-Hissha were posted on Taketomi Island. [Yaeyama Nenraiki] 1750 -
Two hundred out of 1014 residents on Taketomi Village were moved out to Yajira (Yara). [Sankenjou]
1753 - Since Taketomi Village had scarce areas of land, people sailed across the sea to Tomizaki in Ishigaki Island, where they built temporary huts and farmed the land there. [Sankenjou]
A big tsunami attacked Yaeyama region.Twenty-seven officials on Ishigaki Island from Taketomi Island drowned.Out of 1129 people, 523 (247 men and 276 women) from Taketomi Island were sent to Tomizaki Village, making the population of the island 606 (305 men and 301 women). There was no tsunami damage to the villages, Ons, and wells in Taketomi Island, with the exception of one ship. One tip of southeast shore also. [Oonaminotokikakumuranokeigyousho]
The land of Tomizaki Village was sterile, so people who had been moved there were relocated again to Moriyama. [Sankenjou, Yaeyama Nenraiki]
1821 - Oyamachikudon-Pehchin, a 95 year-old Yomochi (the highest rank in the island society), was granted Sedo- Zashikii. [Kyuuyou]
99 year-old "Kaishi", the mother of Oyamachikudon-Pehchin, was awarded for her long life. [Kyuuyou]
Oyamaniya was granted Chikudon-Zashikii. [Kyuuyou]
Yonaguniniya was granted Chikudon-Zashikii. [Kyuuyou]
Kamadoukemori was awarded for his long life and was granted Chikudon-Zashikii. [Kyuuyou]
Oyamachikudon was given the "yellow crown." [Kyuuyou]
Fukukoriooyama was awarded the "red crown." [Kyuuyou]
Oyamaniya was granted Chikudon-Zashikii. [Kyuuyou]
Baginayahfuiya was built, the oldest straw-thatched hut that still remains in Taketomi Island.
The Meiji Restoration.
Haihan-Chiken, one of the policies of Meiji Government was set, using new prefectures and disregarding former domains. Ryukyu fell under the jurisdiction of Kagoshima prefecture.
The fall of Ryukyu Dynasty, it became Okinawa prefecture.
Yaeyama Island Public Office was established in Kuramoto.
Construction Restriction Order was abolished.
Ohkawa Elementary School of Taketomi Brach was founded.
The first ten graduates of Taketomi Elementary School went out into the world, four of them entered Yaeyama Senior School.
Kuramoto and Village Guards were abolished, and became Yaeyama Magiri.
Uchimori Matsu graduated from Yaeyama Senior School and became a substitute teacher. He was the first teacher who was a Taketomi Island native.
The Landscape Regulation Project on Taketomi Island began. Uema Hokuri graduated from senior high school.
Uema Hokuri became a substitute teacher, organized the "Kyoufuu" party and started the Moral Improvement Movement. 1903 - The poll tax system was abolished and the conscription system was applied. The first female student graduated from Taketomi Elementary School. Aikanangukkyafuiya, the oldest roof tiled house remaining in Taketomi Island, was built.
Toushochouson system came into force, and it became Yaeyama Village. Uezu Yuukyou became the first Village headman.
Yonaguni Zenzou entered Okinawa normal school. (Graduated in 1918.)
Yaeyama Village was divided into four villages, Ishigaki, Oohama, Taketomi, and Yonaguni. The Taketomi Village Office was established on Taketomi Island.
The Taketomi Doushi Party was organized. Resolution to establish senior classes was decided.
Taketomi common school became Taketomi common senior school.
Uema Kohki became the first popularly elected village headman.
Respect for Old People Meeting began.
The gangie of Mishashi, a pier, was moved to Shohru.
The pier that was moved to Hohshi from Shohru is today's Taketomi East Port.
Taketomi Village Office was relocated to Ishigaki Island.
Taketomi Doushi Party changed its name into Taketomi Buraku Party.
Oishi Troops of the Japanese Army were stationed.
World War II concluded.
Taketomi Village was raised to Taketomi Town.
Taketomi Buraku Party established the Festival department and put all the festivals and events in order. Taketomi Junior high school was also established.
By the order of the American Army Headquarters, the Archipelagoes Administrations were organized to govern Okinawa main Island, Miyako, Yaeyama, and Amami Island.
1952 - "Ryukyu Government" was established under the control of the Public Welfare Administrations of America, a local agency of the American Government. The Archipelago Administration was abolished.
Akayamaoka (Red Hill) was fixed to become a park. “Nagomi Tower”was constructed.
The Taketomi Buraku Party changed to Taketomi Public Office.
Uesedo Tohru established the private institution, Kihoin-Shushukan, Temple and Folk Craft Museum.
With financial support from a high commissioner in the American Army of Ryukyu, the Taketomi Public Hall was built.
Ryukyu reverted to Japan. It became Okinawa prefecture again.
Research was done by the National Trust of Japan.
The entertainment for the Tanedori Festival began taking place in the National Theater.
Tanedori Festival was designated as one of the important intangible cultural assets of Japan.
The Charter of Taketomi Island was legislated. The old and traditional rows of houses in Taketomi Island were selected as an area of important traditional heritage, and were to be kept in good condition.
"Yaeyama Minsah" was selected as a traditional craft productby the former Ministry of International Trade and Industry.
National Taketomi Island's Cultural Association was founded.
Machinami-kan started its construction.
Taketomi Public Hall has become a corporate organization. The500th Anniversary of Nishitoh's pilgrimage to Shuri was held.
Construction began for the“Tehdhun Kariyushi-Kan”, port side facilities. The loop was opened to traffic.
2004 - The Environmental Agency's Visitors' Center “Taketomi Yugafu-Kan”started construction.
Red letters: events that are very important for the island
Blue letters: Historical events
Green letters: The names of references
"Kyuuyou": "Ryukyu's Compilation of historical material"
"Chousenkoku Richou Jituroku": "The Authentic Record of Lee Korea and its Peripheries"
"Ryukyu Yuraiki": "The Origin of Ryukyu Dynasty"
"Nishitoh-Fu": "The Legend of Nishitoh"
"Yaeyama Nenraiki": "The History of Yaeyama"
"Sankenjou": "Archives from Envoy"
"Oonaminotokikakumuranokeigyousho": "The Document of the Damage by the Big Wave"
Taketomi Yugafu-kan all right reserved.
Unapproved reproduction of pictures, such as a text, a photograph, etc. indicated in this site, is forbidden